When should I see a knee replacement Surgeon to get my pain treated?
Are you experiencing severe knee pain? Are you fed up with taking painkillers that are not so effective? Then don't worry. We are here to help you. When none of your treatments such as medication, physiotherapy and exercises aren't working for your knee pain, you must consult with a knee replacement surgeon. In this blog, we are going to guide you about the causes and treatment of knee pain and when to see the best knee replacement surgeon in Delhi.
About Knee Pain
Pain around the knee area is termed knee pain. This pain can be severe to moderate. It mainly affects old age people but anyone can experience knee pain due to several reasons. According to Pharmabiz, more than 15 crore people are suffering from knee pain in India due to several reasons out of which 4 crore patients require total knee replacement surgery.
Patients are unable to walk, visit the temple, use the toilet, sit & stand simultaneously, meet friends, go jogging and many other problems. All these factors are some reasons to visit an orthopedic doctor. Your doctor will diagnose your pain and give prompt treatment.
Causes & Treatment of Knee Pain
Knee pain can have many causes, ranging from minor injuries and overuse to more serious conditions like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and ligament or meniscus tears. Depending on the cause, knee pain may present as a sharp or dull ache, stiffness, swelling, or difficulty moving the knee joint. People can also experience redness and a popping sound from the knee if the cause of the problem is a ligament tear.
If you are experiencing knee pain, it's important to see a knee replacement surgeon to determine the underlying cause and develop an appropriate treatment plan. In some cases, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) may be enough to manage minor knee pain. Other treatment options may include physical therapy, medications, injections, or surgery. Surgery is only recommended if other methods of treatment don't work.
When you should see a knee replacement surgeon?
If you are experiencing chronic knee pain that is not responding to other treatment methods such as physiotherapy, medication, or lifestyle modification, you should consider seeing a knee replacement doctor. Some common reasons to see a knee replacement doctor include the following:
- Chronic pain: If you have chronic knee pain that is not responding to other treatments such as physical therapy, medications, or injections, it may be time to see a knee replacement surgeon.
- Reduced mobility: If your knee pain is making it difficult for you to move around or participate in your daily activities, you may need to see a knee replacement surgeon.
- Osteoarthritis: If you have severe osteoarthritis in your knee and there is bone-on-bone contact, you may need a knee replacement.
- Knee deformity: If your knee has deformed due to arthritis or an injury, a knee replacement may be necessary to correct the problem.
- Childhood Disease: If you have a childhood disease such as Knock Knee or cerebral palsy, you must consult with a knee replacement surgeon.
It's important to note that knee replacement surgery is typically considered the last treatment method and should only be recommended after other treatments have been tried and have failed. You should consult a specialist such as an orthopedic surgeon to determine if knee replacement surgery is right for you.
Types of doctors that look for knee pain
There are several doctors that can help diagnose and treat knee pain, depending on the underlying cause. Some of these include:
- Orthopedic surgeon: An orthopedic surgeon specializes in diagnosing and treating conditions of the musculoskeletal system, including knee pain. They can perform surgeries, such as knee replacement surgery if needed.
- Rheumatologist: A rheumatologist specializes in diagnosing and treating autoimmune disorders and diseases that affect the bone & joints, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sports medicine physician: A sports medicine physician specializes in treating injuries and conditions related to physical activity and sports. If you are experiencing knee pain due to a ligament tear or sports injury, they are the right ones for the treatment.
- Physiotherapist: A physiotherapist is a doctor who specializes in providing relief to the patients through medicines and physiotherapy. They can develop treatment plans for knee pain that include physical therapy and other non-surgical options such as exercises.
These all doctors can help you with knee pain but to find the perfect solution to your knee pain, you must prefer consulting a knee replacement surgeon. Your primary care physician can help you determine which type of specialist is appropriate for your specific condition.
Steps to prevent knee pain
We know that knee pain can be caused due to any reason but you can control some of your daily activities which will help you to stay active and fit. Not only the knee but these steps can help you prevent all the problems caused in bones & joints. Some steps to prevent bone and joint pain especially knee pain includes -
- Maintain your weight. Don't be overweight as it can put extra pressure on your knees.
- Warming up before exercising to prepare the muscles and joints for physical activity.
- Wear comfortable and suitable footwear that provides support to the knees.
- Strengthening the muscles around the knee through exercises like squats, lunges, and leg presses.
- Avoiding activities that put excessive stress on the knees, such as running on hard surfaces or jumping.
- Avoiding consuming alcohol and tobacco that can lead to bone deterioration.
- Going for a regular checkup and undergoing bone density tests to know the strength of your bones & joints.
If you are experiencing knee pain that is affecting your quality of life or limiting your ability to perform daily activities, it's important to seek medical attention and consult an orthopedic doctor to determine the underlying cause and develop an appropriate treatment plan. You can consult with a good orthopedic surgeon at Cure My Knee. We help you find the right doctor to provide you with the best solution possible. We help a patient experience a hassle-free journey from booking an appointment to post-surgery rehabilitation.